Re: gEDA-user: powermeter results!

Torsten Wagner wrote:
> Also if a bit OT
>
>> DJ Delorie wrote:
>>> No surprise, computers and related electronics accounted for a third
>>> of my electric bill.  I'm working on that, but that's the "cost of
>>> doing business".
[snip]
> Another point to save, if your computers are running 24/7 and mainly provide
> server functions and you are not frighten to run Linux, which I guess is the
> case for a gEDA reader,
>
> a) just buy a bigger machine and use virtualisation technologies like XEN,
> Virtualbox, VMWare, etc.

Yikes.  That'll work, but I'd be uncomfortable with that solution.  I
definitely prefer (b).  Too many moving pieces to go wrong.

> b) get some of this little ARM based boards or Atom based boards to replace
> your hungry desktop processors by something more greeny (e.g. check for the
> beagle board on the web which consumes only 1.5 W). This yet tiny but powerful
> systems can normally serve well all home and small office network and multimedia
> stuff and requires less power in full operation mode then many desktop
> computers in suspend mode.

I just replaced the main server in my house (a 10 year old machine with
Gentoo on it) with a Sheevaplug.  Took me one all-nighter to set it up
and move everything over.  It's been working great for almost two weeks
now.  Pulls 5W not including the external HD.  The best part is how much
longer it'll stay up on the UPS when the power fails.

The next project is to wire in a serial GPS with PPS.  Then, it'll be my
stratum1 time server as well.  :-)

For $99US a pop, you could get three Sheevaplugs and have separate
servers.

Jason.