Re: gEDA-user: How to deal with single/dual parts?

Hi,

Since I emailed about including multiple footprints in symbol files.
I've been following the subsequent discussions. I thought the view of a
new-ish user of geda maybe helpful, I mean to give some constructive
criticism and not to be derogatory to the project or any person. If I've
made a incorrect presumption fell free to give me a slap.

I understand geda has many design flows. Taking a PCB flow as an
example. Many other tools do a better job of handling component
selection and creation, as has been mentioned. I don't think the option
of each user scripting symbol creation and similar solutions is sensible
option for action new users. I have reasonable EDA and programming
experience and have written scripts for VLSI designs using Synopsys and
Cadence tools. I can write scripts, but I'm think of new EDA tools users
in schools / colleges or (newer) hobbyists, that just want to produce a
schematic and PCB easily. Other tools such as the free version of Eagle
(yes it has limitations and not all of the design flows geda supports)
does a better job of this. I don't see why geda can't to a equal good
job. I may suggest that in rightly wanting to keep the flexibility of
geda some of the usability for some specific flows has suffered.

It seems that there is general agreement that something is broke, with
the finger being pointed towards the current symbol file and slotting
mechanism. It also seem the cleanest proposed solutions require a
reasonable change to the code base that will take some time to complete.
One idea maybe to have a parallel development branch to explore
solutions that can be merged back with the main branch at a later date
(may after several releases).

The ease of using of multiple files for symbols / components depends on
how this is presented to the user, if combing the additional files is
done through some GUI options that partially hides this, I don't see
much of a problem.

This discussion has also raised other points, such as the API and the
API docs. Maybe a meeting or two on IRC or with Gobby to flesh out some
solutions might help (I find the more instant response of IRC is better
than mailing lists for this type of thing, maybe others don't). Maybe
with a view of what to implement in the next couple of versions, more
towards big picture ideas than the current todo list.

On a bit of a different note. It would be nice to search gedasymols.org
directly form the library manager for additional symbols / components.

Regards,
Kelvin