Re: gEDA-user: Comments on pcb's g-code exporter & HeeksCAD/HeeksCNC FOSS program for pcb milling

Am 14.11.2010 um 10:38 schrieb dfro@xxxxxxxxx:

I have figured out how to add your 24 patches with git, I recompiled 'pcb', and I am trying out the new version.

That's great. Just a second before I sent further comments :-)

Adding a tool table might be cool.

As far as I understand, this is done in pcb on a different level:

http://pcb.gpleda.org/pcb-cvs/pcb.html#Vendor-drill-mapping

Didn't test it yet, though.

In regards to cutting the board outline:

What I am noticing is that the global board dimensions set in Preferences get turned into a xxx-outline.cnc file. Correct?

If there is no "outline" layer, yes.

I think there should be an "outline" layer in the main window (along with the "solder", "component", and other layers in 'pcb') where you can draw your outline with a trace line.

Sure, go ahead and create it. You create layers somewhere in preferences. I hope the exporter's behaviour is correct for both, adding the outline layer to the component side as well as adding it to the solder side. In the later case, general milling is mirrored, just like isolation milling.

Not that mirroring an x-y-aligned rectangle changes anything, but with some luck somebody will find the time to implement milling of complex outlines one day.

Also, a box to input the feed rate (F) would be nice.

Yepp, that's on the to do list. Five feedrates: isolation milling approach, isolation milling work, drilling approach, general milling approach, general milling work. Many tools prefer different feedrates for vertical vs. horizontal movements.

Markus

Dipl. Ing. (FH) Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/