Re: gEDA-user: Comments on pcb's g-code exporter & HeeksCAD/HeeksCNC FOSS program for pcb milling

Markus,

Thanks for the note.

On 11/14/2010 05:55 AM, Markus Hitter wrote:

Am 14.11.2010 um 10:38 schrieb dfro@xxxxxxxxx:

I have figured out how to add your 24 patches with git, I recompiled
'pcb', and I am trying out the new version.

That's great. Just a second before I sent further comments :-)

No problem. I learned a lot about git, while trying to get your patches working. Now I am going to use git on a dozen other personal projects I have going. So, thanks for writing those juicy patches that forced me to RTFM:

http://progit.org/book/

The explanation of 'git am' in there was enough to get me back in business.

Adding a tool table might be cool.

As far as I understand, this is done in pcb on a different level:

http://pcb.gpleda.org/pcb-cvs/pcb.html#Vendor-drill-mapping

Didn't test it yet, though.

Vendor drill mapping is a great feature. I did not know it was there. I will definitely use it, now that I know about it. A tool table would contain a lot more information, though, and have a very different purpose than "quantizing" the holes in a pcb design.

An EMC2 .tbl file in "mill format" contains a table with a "Pocket" column, and "FMS" column (the T numbers which coincide with a user's machine), a "TLO" column representing tool length offset, a "Diameter" column, and a "Comment" column - i.e. "1/16 end mill"

If you are interested, check out section 9.4 of the EMC2 User Manual:

http://linuxcnc.org/docs/EMC2_User_Manual.pdf
http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?EmcKnowledgeBase

Having said this, The drill grouping and comments in the 'pcb' generated g-code make it very easy for a user to find the drill bit/end mill changes and add the M06/Txx lines for their machine by hand.

In regards to cutting the board outline:

What I am noticing is that the global board dimensions set in
Preferences get turned into a xxx-outline.cnc file. Correct?

If there is no "outline" layer, yes.

I think there should be an "outline" layer in the main window (along
with the "solder", "component", and other layers in 'pcb') where you
can draw your outline with a trace line.

Sure, go ahead and create it. You create layers somewhere in
preferences. I hope the exporter's behaviour is correct for both, adding
the outline layer to the component side as well as adding it to the
solder side. In the later case, general milling is mirrored, just like
isolation milling.

Not that mirroring an x-y-aligned rectangle changes anything, but with
some luck somebody will find the time to implement milling of complex
outlines one day.

I agree. Milling of complex outlines would be a great feature.

I will have to play with this more to figure out how it currently works. I tried to draw an outline in an 'outline' layer and 'pcb' just turned the trace lines into an isolation routing outline.

I must not be getting your explanation. Do I use a rectangle in the 'outline' layer to define the outline?

Also, a box to input the feed rate (F) would be nice.

Yepp, that's on the to do list. Five feedrates: isolation milling
approach, isolation milling work, drilling approach, general milling
approach, general milling work. Many tools prefer different feedrates
for vertical vs. horizontal movements.

Great!

Thanks,
Dave