Re: gEDA-user: PCB+GL+3D Packages??

John Griessen wrote:

> Here's an example of a python script that can be launched from
> a python interpreter window of HeeksCAD.

FreeCAD is using python for user scripting, too:
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/free-cad/index.php?title=Topological_data_scripting
Note, that boolean operations are included. The application can be driven
completely GUI-less.
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/free-cad/index.php?title=Scripted_objects
In addition, there is a python API to the whole application.

(I'd love to see this kind of scripting in pcb and/or gschem)

> I don't see exactly how it would benefit the pcb project, but the
> code is BSD licensed and in C++

The core of the geometry engine is Open Cascade, which is licensed
in a "LGPL-like" way. http://www.opencascade.org/getocc/license/
The BSD licensed part of HeeksCAD won't get you very far.

> Freecad is going to be great, but last I tried doing booleans it slowed
> to a crawl and was unusable.

If I cut a torus from a filleted cube, I still get three digit FPS.
You may have been missing the COIN library. In this case, FreeCAD falls
back to the slower Open Cascade routines.

---<)kaimartin(>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak
Öffentlicher PGP-Schlüssel: