Re: gEDA-user: current working file name in gschemrc

On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 11:50:36PM +0100, kai-martin knaak wrote:
> Vladimir Zhbanov wrote:
>
> > It would be nice to have the same way to make EPS too. What if
> > you need to make LaTeX files with images
>
> This is what I use the PDF output for :-)
> Last I used latex rather than pdflatex must have been about 2005...
>

> > which should have the same scale?
>
> Good point. In addition to various paper sizes the PDF output should
> offer a fixed scaling. In this case the size of the output should be
> set automatically.
>

> > I know no way to do this without GUI.
>
> BTW, how do you set the scale in the GUI?

In gschem you use "File->Write image..." and choose 'Encapsulated
Postscript' as output format. Then all your .eps-files have right
"%%BoundingBox" lines within them which specify the figures sizes.
Further you can do some calculations.

1000 gschem points (g.p.) = 72 Adobe dots.
Adobe Postscript format uses internally 72 dpi (AFAIK).
Thus: 1000 g.p. in gschem are equal to 1 inch on a paper. This is fixed.

If you want to have then different scaling, e.g. 100 g.p. = 2.5 mm
(1000 g.p. = 25 mm), you can use scale factor as follows:

factor = 25 mm / 1 inch = 25 mm / 25.4 mm = .984

(BTW, it's handy to have such scale factor which is good for printing of
default gschem symbols in metric sizes with almost no difference in
appearance.)

To apply this scaling to the figures used in latex you could use a
standard way:
\begin{figure}\includegraphics[scale=.984]{example.eps}\end{figure}

Note the 'scale' option here.
If you have to reduce all your figures 2 times you can use just
[scale=.492] (i.e. 0.984/2) and so on.

BTW, last time I read gschem FAQ there was error there: '\begin{image}
... \end{image}' instead of '\begin{figure} ... \end{figure}'.

One problem I noticed before is no way to reprint all .eps-files from
command line, that is from Makefile also.

Best regards.

--
vzh