Re: gEDA-user: )(

2009/10/2 Bill Gatliff <bgat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Cheating or not, all the examples he posted look _awesome_!  :)
>
> Let's say the objective of the 3D effects/output in PCB were to test
> against a 3D model of the whole system--- not just to visualize the
> (populated) PCB.  Would Blender be the right output format then?

I guess it depends what your goal is. Kai-Martin's assumed goal was to
produce a (photo?-)realistic depiction of the layout/assembly. Blender
is extremely well suited to that. But...

To me that's not as useful from an engineering perspective as, say,
being able to see your board, and, crucially, interact with both the
view of the board and maybe its mechanical location in the system, in
real time. This definitely does not need raytracing and is the kind of
application OpenGL is well suited to.

Having said that, I think it could be possible/desirable/cool to use
the Blender game engine as the mechanism to work with an interactive
view of the assembly, but there may be a mechanical CAD application
around that would do a job.

(and did I mention Blender is an OpenGL application?)

Cheers
Gareth