Re: gEDA-user: )(

Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Oct 2009 23:58:52 +0100, Peter Clifton wrote:
>

>> As an older (code no longer in existence) example, perspective like this
>> is not hard to achieve:
>>
>> http://www2.eng.cam.ac.uk/~pcjc2/geda/gerbv_GL.png
>>
>> (That IIRC, is cairo-rendered onto a texture, then stretched onto a
>> quad).
>>

> IMHO, this is cheating. 3D objects would at least need ray tracing to
> look half way real. If there is an urge to push 3D output of pcb layouts,
> it would be wise not to reinvent the wheels. I'd suggest an export in a
> 3D format and delegate rendering to a third party application like the
> excellent blender.

Cheating or not, all the examples he posted look _awesome_!  :)

Let's say the objective of the 3D effects/output in PCB were to test
against a 3D model of the whole system--- not just to visualize the
(populated) PCB.  Would Blender be the right output format then?

b.g.

--
Bill Gatliff
bgat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx