Re: gEDA-user: gEDA 1.6: --enable-doxygen seems to have no effect

Hi Gareth,

On Sat, 2009-10-31 at 08:42 +0000, Gareth Edwards wrote:
> 2009/10/31 Bert Timmerman <bert.timmerman@xxxxxxxxx>:
> >
> > Thanks for the patches, they're another step forward.
> >
> > Reading the patches 0003 and 0004, one question comes to mind: I'm not
> > aware that there is a doxygen dir (or file) generated that has to be
> > removed by the distclean-local rule ?
> >

> A good question and one worth digging into in a bit of detail, as I
> don't understand the original Makefile decision that leads me to need
> it.
>
> If you run configure without --enable-doxygen, running 'make doxygen'
> in the */docs/ subdirectory *does* drop a doxygen file; here is what
> ends up in the Makefile in this build configuration:
>
> doxygen: gattrib.dox
> 	@echo 'Creating doxygen documentation for gattrib...'
> 	@echo 'Doxygen is not installed on your system.' >> $@
> 	@echo 'The documentation can not be built from the sources.'     >> $@
>
> (the bottom two lines end up in the "doxygen" file)
>
> Going on the ideal that make distclean and make maintainer-clean
> should both remove every file that wasn't in the tarball or git
> respectively, I felt it valid to remove that file for both of those
> clean targets, hence patch 0003 and 0004.
>
> However, what I don't really get is the need to create that file in
> the first place. Why not just echo the messages to the transcript
> rather than dropping a file that, without opening it, is very
> difficult to know what it is for?
>
> Cheers
> Gareth

FWIW, I can see a possible use if it was called "doxygen.log" and all
ranting output that doxygen spews out, about variables and stuff not
being documented, was logged into that log file :)

Then documentation could be made better based on that information.

Kind regards,

Bert Timmerman.