Re: gEDA-user: )(

On Fri, 02 Oct 2009 20:06:29 +0100, Peter Clifton wrote:

> On Fri, 2009-10-02 at 16:38 +0000, Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:
>> On Fri, 02 Oct 2009 09:50:37 +0100, Peter Clifton wrote:
>>
>> > IMO, this is _not_ cheating, it is a standard technique. The surface
>> > of a board is flat - so you render it as one quad, and texture map
>> > the surface.
>>
>> > Any real structure you wanted to represent (board edges, vias etc..)
>> > would need more complex geometry.
>>
>> Well, if I think of a 3D representation of a design, the pcb is just
>> one part of it. Components and the enclosing need to be added to make
>> it a useful tool, rather than just a fancy picture. It would allow
>> checking for mechanical constraints prior to manufacture.
>>
>> Kicad seems to be (almost?) there:
>> 	http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datei:Kicad_3dviewer.jpg
>
> Actually, looking at the Kicad code briefly made me realise that it
> isn't "that" hard to do 3D view. Basically they are just parsing VRML
> models (possibly just a subset of the syntax emitted by wings3D), and
> emitting GL drawing calls.
>
> The bits I haven't got:
>
> 1. VRML parser
> 2. Any models!
> 3. 3D Matrix setup for the GL stuff.
>

>> But again, I am not advocating to go along this route. Export of 3D
>> data in some format that blender and decent mechanical CAD applications
>> can import, would be a better way.
>
> I'm not sure, but I heard VRML was actually a common interchange format.

Unfortunately, there is no a lingua franca for 3D mechanical CAD.
E.g, my copy of varicad can import STEP (.stp), AutoCAD (.dwg, .dxf) and
IGES (.igs). The AutoCAD import filters understand only the 2D portion of
the file.

STEP is a format that is specifically designed for the exchange of 3D
mechanical data. IMHO, all major CAD applications support it. If
manufacturers offer 3D data of their products, it will most likely be in
STEP format.

---<(kaimartin)>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak