Re: gEDA-user: coordinate systems

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 12:48:19AM +0200, kai-martin knaak wrote:
> Markus Hitter wrote:
>
> > gEDA's GUI
> > can be brought on par with Eagle or KiCad easily, so there's no
> > reason to miss that opportunity.
>
> The good news: There was a discussion on revamping the pcb GUI on Kthe
> list lately.
>
> The bad news: I don't remember any of the established developers engage
> much in the discussion. Hopefully the new developers elan will suffice
> to get some of the proposed changes done and accepted by the
> established developers.

The GUI revamp requires first cleaning up the existing GUI (ie, moving
``widgets'' like the layer selector into actual widgets rather than the
current hodge-podge of Gtk event code), and that in turn is waiting on
a port to C++.

That port is in the works (a patch exists), but it's waiting on the
established developers to review and push it.

I'm half-working on the nanometers conversion, but schoolwork naturally
takes priority, so I don't have a lot of time. (Plus, my build system is
a bit of a mess right now --- sharing a /home with 5 different computers
running 3 different Linux distributions is not as simple as I'd hoped.)

--
Andrew Poelstra
Email: asp11 at sfu.ca OR apoelstra at wpsoftware.net
Web:   http://www.wpsoftware.net/andrew/