Re: gEDA-user: coordinate systems

Markus Hitter wrote:

> - Get the interface, especially mouse button behaviour,
> consistent between all parts of the suite.

yes, yes, yes!
And make the most important keyboard shortcuts compatible, too.

> - Write a new tutorial. With a few pictures like before,
> and without any asking for editing text files.

You've got a point here. It's been quite some time since I did the
tutorial myself. But I still remember that the first part of it was a
bit confusing and tedious. I think you are right. The tutorial is in
need for a rewrite.

> I've learned about xgsch2pcb and pull just with the email
> cited above,

Well, pcb pull was added this summer. So this is a brand new feature
and not very established among regular users. The utility xgsch2pcb on
the other hand was initially labeled proof-of-concept by the developer.
It proved pretty usable but still has its edges. For example, it does
not play nice with hierarchical schematics.

> gEDA's GUI
> can be brought on par with Eagle or KiCad easily, so there's no
> reason to miss that opportunity.

The good news: There was a discussion on revamping the pcb GUI on Kthe
list lately.

The bad news: I don't remember any of the established developers engage
much in the discussion. Hopefully the new developers elan will suffice
to get some of the proposed changes done and accepted by the
established developers.

---<)kaimartin(>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak