Re: gEDA-user: Free Dog meeting report: Notes on the topics we discussed

On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 09:08:33AM -0400, Dan McMahill wrote:
> Olgierd Eysymontt wrote:
> >I've made A LOT of Java program, including the one of power systems,
> >that made A LOT of complex matrix inversions very quickly.
> >
> >And YES IT RUNS ON LINUX as all the progrmas I've made has been made on
> >linux and run on Windows WITHOUT NATIVE LIBRARIES.
> >
> >I think you really don't know what Java is, you can ask yourself why is
> >one the most used languages now, check Sourceforge if in doubt.
> >
> >Java virtual machines has been very optimized in the last years and
> >represent a hardware abstraction layer which I think is very necceasary
> >today specially for folks on NetBSD, Solaris, AIX or whatever you want.
> >
> >Olgierd
>
> actually my question wasn't "does it run on linux", it was "linux on
> non-x86", "netbsd on sparc64", "freebsd on powerpc".
>
> So actually I decided to play around some with the new electric which is
> written in java.  Any suggestions on which JVM I should try to install
> on my NetBSD/alpha machine?  The sun one doesn't have the machine
> dependant bits for this system.  Kaffe even with out jit3 doesn't
> compile.  Is there a prefered opensource JVM which has been ported to
> lots of systems?

Try Blackkdown, that's the one I have installed by gentoo, and the one
which segfaults :)

There is obviously not one Java platform, but three different with
different limitations -> Java programs are not platform-independent.

CL<