Re: gEDA-user: next PCB release - 1.99za vs 4.0

On Fri, 2010-09-10 at 11:05 -0700, Andrew Poelstra wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 01:31:48AM +0100, Peter Clifton wrote:
> > PS.. have you tried any of the GL stuff?
> >
> > http://www2.eng.cam.ac.uk/~pcjc2/geda/trans_poly.png
> > http://www2.eng.cam.ac.uk/~pcjc2/geda/pcb+gl_3d/pcb+gl_3d-1.png
> > http://www2.eng.cam.ac.uk/~pcjc2/geda/pcb+gl_3d/pcb+gl_3d-2.png
> > http://www2.eng.cam.ac.uk/~pcjc2/geda/pcb+gl_3d/pcb+gl_3d-3.png
> > http://www2.eng.cam.ac.uk/~pcjc2/geda/pcb+gl_3d/pcb+gl_3d-4.png
> > http://www2.eng.cam.ac.uk/~pcjc2/geda/pcb+gl_3d/pcb+gl_3d-5.png
> > http://www2.eng.cam.ac.uk/~pcjc2/geda/pcb+gl_3d/pcb+gl_3d-6.png
> > http://www2.eng.cam.ac.uk/~pcjc2/geda/pcb+gl_3d/pcb+gl_3d-7.png
> >

> Wow! I tried out the GL branch and was impressed by how fast and responsive
> it was. Also, that clicking and selecting objects worked properly (the Gdk
> stuff is /awful/ at this.)

Major refactoring is wanted there IMO. I've not pushed my changes as yet
because there are still shortcomings.

The code to snap the mouse-pointer onto the grid is completely different
code to that which performs actions.. so you could snap to the center of
a via, and (say), have the mouse-click perform on some object which was
_not_ snapped to.

I figured the GUI / core's mouse-snap code should determine which object
got the snap, and pass that on to the action code, rather than having it
re-figure-out which object to manipulate based on the mouse coordinates.

PS. if I didn't say already, it is the "before_pours" branch you
probably want.

"master" is fun for polygons... go try that ;), but it isn't what I
would call compatible semantics to old files.

 You'll have to place something conducting, such as a "joined" trace, or
a thermal to make the pieces of polygon appear though, but it does
"proper" island removal.

> But I had not played with 3D..

You see the strange circle / ellipse under the layer buttons. Drag that
around like a track-ball.

If you have a board which has an "outline" or "route" layer which is
complete (no little gaps), it will render the solder-mask layers to
match that outline for added visualisation goodness.

I just wish the code wasn't quite so crufty in places ;)

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,