Re: gEDA-user: next PCB release - 1.99za vs 4.0

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 01:42:21PM -0600, John Doty wrote:

> On Sep 10, 2010, at 1:01 PM, DJ Delorie wrote:
>
> > I figure we need each layer to specify:
> >
> > * type (copper, silk, mask, anti-copper, keepout, etc)
>
> There are no types, there are only properties.

I disagree. Replace the word "copper" with "conductor" and you will
see what I mean. If you have two different conductive materials, with
different properties, then yes, the layer needs to have property
information.

Even so, I don't think it's as as high a priority as layer unification.

> The conductors may not be copper. I've even worked with a board that
> had two different conductive materials on the same physical layer.

Then perhaps the material used should be a property of the traces, not
a property of the layer.

Andrew