Re: gEDA-user: next PCB release - 1.99za vs 4.0

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 10:49:45PM +0100, Peter Clifton wrote:

> Presumably anti- layers would have be be composited into a single output
> layer by for various exporters?

What if the anti-layer isn't even a real layer - just an option while
editing a layer, to "draw vacuum".

For example, if we redesigned the layer-selector, we could cram icons
into a 4x4 grid for each layer:

+--------+---------+
| active | visible |
| locked | vacuum  |

I know there is opposition to making the layer-selector take up any more
space than it does, but I think we could make these 8x8 or 10x10 icons
and still remain space-conservative.

I don't like the idea of layer groups, and I certainly don't think we
should do something that (pretty much) requires them to work. So having
anti-layers sounds wrong to me.

Andrew