Re: gEDA-user: next PCB release - 1.99za vs 4.0

DJ Delorie <dj@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> Now, the question becomes "which is more fundamental?".  I think
>> it's geometry.
>
> A hole is the same geometry regardless of what level of the heirarchy
> it's placed at.  So let me rephrase: Why have seven geometric holes,
> one for each layer, when we can have one geometric hole applied to the
> whole composite?

Because then there is only one primitive:  hole in a layer, and
from that you can make any type of vias.

The user can build a library of vias from these primitives if he needs
that much control, when the standard thruhole vias that the GUI provides
are not sufficient.  Nobody complains that his exotic vias stack is not
supported.