Re: gEDA-user: coding style (was: help with pcb dsn plugin)

On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 12:06:49PM -0700, Jared Casper wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 11:46 AM, DJ Delorie <dj@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> I assume there are PCB devs that prefer the gnu style?
> >
> > 1. I prefer GNU style.  Emacs automatically does this style when
> >   coding, too.

Initially I hated it, but it's grown on me. Giving braces their own
columns lets one quickly see the block structure, which is incredibly
helpful when skipping/including if statements while reading code.

> > 2. GNU style seems to be popular elsewhere too, which reduces the
> >   learning curve for many new developers
> >

> I'm sure you've seen a lot more code than I have, but from my own
> experience it's only projects with a code base 10 something years old
> or more that use it.  Most newer code I've seen, especially in
> academia, use something more like the linux kernel style.  Maybe it's
> just the circles I code in.  I'm personally not a fan of the gnu
> style, but don't go as far as Linus to think that people should print
> it out and burn it. :)  I just don't think it looks aesthetically
> pleasing and find it difficult to read, but probably just because I'm
> used to the other style.

Well, C itself doesn't seem to be used too much outside of > 10 year
old code. Nowadays the language du jour seems to be Python, and C is
only used for library-type projects that want many language bindings.

IMHO everything should be Lisp. ;)

--
Andrew Poelstra
Email: asp11 at sfu.ca OR apoelstra at wpsoftware.net