Re: [tor-talk] Google disable web-access to gmail for Tor-users?

> If you must have GMail, I've noticed that accounts created on android
> devices are not subject to these checks. And yes, even when using Tor
> via Orbot.

Since using your android is, afaik, the same as giving them your
phone (SMS), or alternate identity, it would seem obvious that this
would work. And thus a non-solution in general.

> You don't have an android phone?

Many good folks that would make good use of a gmail account
do not have such things. Similarly, many good folks that do
have such things would surely not wish to associate the identity
of such a thing (IMEI/SIM/account/location/life/etc) with any
gmail account just in order to get gmail. So for many, this is out
based on access and/or principle alone.

> 1. Install the android sdk/emulator and create an avd. I tested with
> API 8 (android 2.2) + google apis
> 2. launch the emulator: emulator -http-proxy http://127.0.0.1:8118
> @your_adb_name_here (the proxy settings in the gui did *not* work for
> me)
> 4. navigate through settings->accounts&sync->add account->google->create

Interesting...
- Are you suggesting that this simulator runs on a PC using unix or windows?
- What is an "adb_name"?
- And it seems like a heavyweight solution in general. Do you have any
insight into why it works? Such as its use of a certain browser string,
preloaded cookie strings, or other http parameters? It would certainly
be easier for many people to simply mimic those in say firefox than
to setup an entire development and emulation environment.