Re: [pygame] New pygame.org website

On 16 December 2016 at 10:12, Radomir Dopieralski <pygame@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
As for the tools, I wonder if we could just use Sphinx like all the
PyGame documentation does, and not get extra tools involved.

I've made websites with Sphinx before (ipython.org), and my experience was that it's not a great tool for that task - it's designed around docs, and you have to do a fair bit to suppress docs-oriented features and checks that don't make sense for a website, such as having all the pages in a strict order for conversion to PDF.

That said, Nikola (and, I think, most static site generators) are really designed around a blog, which isn't exactly what we want either.

As for the list of games, I wonder if we could just make people commit
their entries into a github repository, together with an image and
description?  I mean, this is interface for people who are making games
already -- so we don't necessarily have to make it super-easy and open
to spammers. Github has their own anti-spam measures, we could take
advantage of that. This way we avoid the need for a custom database and
app hosting. We can just generate static html for the game list daily,
or from a github hook.

I did wonder about that. It's not ideal, because pull requests have to be merged, but it is an attractive option for simplicity. Maybe if it was a separate repo, we could give out push access very freely so that there were many people who could merge pull requests.

What do we want to do with the wiki? Do we want to "migrate" it to some
other engine, or just leave it as it is for now? Maybe put it into
github wiki too?

I would move it into the version-controlled static site. I think wikis were popular at one point a few years back, but they don't actually work that well. Part of the problem is that people can be reluctant to edit a wiki in case they're wrong. Making changes through pull requests makes those people more willing to have a go, because they know someone else will check it. And it provides some protection against bad edits.

If we decide we really need a wiki, I'd probably go for the Github wiki, but let's try with just the version controlled site first.

Thomas

PS Does anyone know who owns the pygame organisation on Github? It's claimed but not in use.