Re: [pygame] New pygame.org website

On 25 December 2016 at 03:30, René Dudfield <renesd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I've been non contactable for a few weeks due to personal issues. Which I guess was frustrating to Thomas, which has led to this latest effort to make a new website.

I'm glad to see you back; I was a bit worried that something had happened to you. I hope things are OK.

Truth be told, the website has been frustrating me for quite a long time, but your absence really highlighted the need for something that doesn't depend on a single person maintaining it, and I have seen on the mailing list that there's a lot of talent and enthusiasm that could be harnessed if the website was a more collaborative project.
  • most parts of the website can be updated (by wiki, bitbucket, stackoverflow, etc)
This is a good point, and I should update the 'Getting Started' page on the wiki. I cannot, however, see a way to update the all-important Download page.
  • we need to document who has access to which admin things (there are a few people who have access to everything, but I guess not everyone knows each other, and some people go inactive some times)
+1. For instance, you mentioned that users jmm0 and TheSheep also have admin access to Disqus, but those usernames don't obviously relate to anyone I remember on the mailing list or on Bitbucket, so I'm not sure who they are or how to contact them.
  • moderation, respect and spam are issues we need to work on.

+1. I hope you don't feel that our efforts to build a replacement site in your absence were disrespectful :-)

Looking forward to moving forward on the new website!

How would you like to see the transition happen? Now that you're back we can presumably make some updates to the current site, which reduces the pressure to replace it. I'd still like to see things like the download page generated from files in version control, so that people can update them through pull requests. My inclination is to move the wiki content into version control as well.

For the game feed and the login system, how important do you think it is to maintain the data from the old site? We could try to build a Python web application around the same database, and then switch over to it. That would be significantly more work than making a new system from scratch, but it means a smoother transition, and preserves the existing archive. Do you want to keep using the current server for dynamic parts of a new site, or move pygame away from it?

Thanks,
Thomas