Re: [pygame] New pygame.org website

On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 14:01:57 -0600
Luke Paireepinart <rabidpoobear@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Can't we just make it so only a few known-good users have access to
> merge to master and then use pull requests for edits to the site from
> the community?  this is a common way to do it both for sites and
> otherwise - Ionic does their tutorial websites this way.

This is not the problem, and yes, it has been done this way so far, and
it will continue to be done that way, most likely.

> The only real issue I would see is that you wouldn't really want a
> single repo with binaries or even of source of all games submitted.
> That would clutter up the repo for the website with essentially
> backend data edits.

We don't want to host those games. As people have here already noted
multiple times, there is no shortage of places where you can host the
files and source code for your games. All we need is a link, a
description, and perhaps a screenshot. That's it.

> I would suggest making a template repository for users to fork on
> GitHub that would include an editable readme.md with a good starting
> framework. They could update the readme to include descriptions of
> their games and these could be pulled into a list.

It's not necessary for their projects to follow any particular
structure or template. We could, however, have a template for adding an
entry for your game (title, author, link, description, screenshot,
etc.) to the list, and then have that included in the static generation
of the website.

> Regarding static vs dynamic sites and games lists, we could
> preprocess the games list into one big json file and then just
> implement the game list view as an Angular application.  That would
> allow sorting/filtering/searching of content with no dynamic
> processing on the server side whatsoever - just when a new project is
> accepted, that json file would be updated to include the link and
> some tags about each game.

Please, no Angular, no leftpad.js, no client-side use-all-cpu
works-only-in-my-favorite-browser unusable disabled-hostile confusing
shiny technologies. That's exactly how the current website was created.

There is already a perfectly good way of searching a static web page,
without any processing on the server, built into your browser -- you can
access it with ctrl+f.

Let's first build the simplest possible thing, and we can refine it and
add bling if we have spare resources for that.

As a side note, what are we going to do with the existing game list?
Are we going to import/migrate it to the new website?

--
Radomir Dopieralski