Re: [pygame] Pygame 1.9.3?

On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 9:51 PM, Thomas Kluyver <takowl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 11 January 2017 at 10:31, René Dudfield <renesd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
As you say packaging can come after the release.

Do you want to do the 1.9.3 with Mac wheels or without? The people who tested them before the release indicated they were working, and you always hear disproportionately from the people having problems, so I think there's a good chance that they're useful to people despite all the issues that are coming up. On the one hand, it may be easier not to try to support Mac wheels for now; on the other hand I think it's more likely that the problems get solved if people are trying to use them.

I think we should go with the mac wheels. I did a couple of tests on some systems and they work fine. I think they weren't working on my system when I first tested because I had some outdated and hackily compiled sdl files in my homebrew which were messing with it.

Some of the breakages for macOS require fixes in SDL, and packaging for 32bit requires much other work (seems whl doesn't work, so a .dmg could possibly be made again).

I don't think there's any reason .whl can't work for 32-bit code on Macs. It's compiling the necessary dependencies that's the tricky bit, and trying to make things work for older OSX versions. Those challenges are presumably going to be the same however the code is packaged.

Ah ok, cool. I thought you mentioned 32bit wheels didn't work because of something related to wheels. I'm working on getting the fixes upstreamed for 32bit. fluidsynth is the biggest one.

I updated the milestones for those issues. I think you should now be able to modify milestones in bitbucket. Let's just assign milestones to things we do going forwards, and clean up the other ones as they are done.

Oops, I may have just gone through half of them clearing up milestones before I read that. ;-)

Thomas

Oops! Sorry. Well, that's good that they're cleaned up now :)