[pygame] Re: Mac OSX (FWD)

-------- Original Message --------
[Bob Ippolito <bob@redivi.com>]
Date: Fri,  5 Jul 2002 15:14:19 -0400 (EDT)

On Friday, July 5, 2002, at 11:43 AM, Andrew Straw wrote:
 >> Well, I've compiled pygame more or less by hand (against fink's
 >> SDL and fink's python) but it crashes spectacularly whenever I
 >> try to do anything with it...  how do you invoke pygame?
 >
 > Wow, you're not even getting to the message that says "WARNING!
 > Running pygame apps from any method other than through python.app
 > (aka  through the finder or launchservices) is UNSUPPORTED!" ? I
 > guess that is a pretty spectacular crash.  Try double clicking the
 > icon or typing "open mycoolgame.py".  That should invoke
 > Python.app (if it exists). If you still have problems, I'd give up
 > on the fink distro until you know you've got it working otherwise.

It's because he build against fink's stuff, that's just Not Going To
Work.  I'm kinda worried about Jaguar, it's supposed to come with
Python, but I'm afraid that it's most likely to be a fink-like build
and not something particularly useful for GUI work.  Unfortunately,
I don't have my hands on a beta or a machine I can really screw
with.  Right now the most recent framework build is probably the one
that the wxWindows/wxMac guys have up.

 >> Do you need Tkinter?  I'm really behind here.
 >
 > I don't think it sneaks into the dependencies of pygame anywhere.
  > But I use it, so I have to have it.

Nope, don't need it.  wxWindows/wxPython is going to be a nice
replacement for tk when it's more stable and complete on OS X.

 >> Apparently there's a book on "Mac OS X for Unix Programmers" due
 >> from O'Reilly soon.  I suspect I'll be buying that.
 >
 > Geez, if only they had timed it to coincide with (or, even better,
 > precede) the launch of Mac OS X! :) Still, it will be interesting
 > to get a reality check on all of this hacking I've been doing!

They didn't even have their own documentation finished with the
release.. I mean, Cocoa docs were just recently finished, and
there's still a slew of private and/or undocumented APIs that
deserve opening or documentation.  Particularly the low level
graphics stuff.

-bob