Re: [pygame] Gui

On 6/27/05, Simon Wittber <simonwittber@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The problem with most GUI toolkits, from a game programmer point of view...
>
> ... is the need to integrate their GUI main loop.

This is a problem with toolkits other than GUI's, also, for that matter.

Mike Leonhard's GUI doesn't have a main loop, as I recall, but expects
 relevant SDL events to be passed to its handler.  So it is easy to
integrate into standalone main loops.

> Most of us like to do things our own way, and being shackled into a
> GUI framework is usually (at least for me) an unpleasant experience.
> I've ended up writing my own event engine, which I can plug into most
> GUI toolkits and frameworks. I've been able to integrate pygame,
> twisted, and wx in a fairly generic way.

Do you integrate wx and pygame without threads?

> I do wonder though, what/if people have tried as alternatives to event
> driven GUI programming... anyone care to share?

Good question.

--
dkeeney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Pitcher's Duel -> pduel.sourceforge.net