Re: [pygame] Gui

On Jun 27, 2005, at 4:52 PM, David wrote:

On 6/27/05, Simon Wittber <simonwittber@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The problem with most GUI toolkits, from a game programmer point of view...

... is the need to integrate their GUI main loop.

This is a problem with toolkits other than GUI's, also, for that matter.

Mike Leonhard's GUI doesn't have a main loop, as I recall, but expects
 relevant SDL events to be passed to its handler.  So it is easy to
integrate into standalone main loops.

Most of us like to do things our own way, and being shackled into a
GUI framework is usually (at least for me) an unpleasant experience.
I've ended up writing my own event engine, which I can plug into most
GUI toolkits and frameworks. I've been able to integrate pygame,
twisted, and wx in a fairly generic way.

Do you integrate wx and pygame without threads?

You *can not* integrate wx and pygame, Tkinter and pygame, or anything else and pygame in a cross-platform fashion -- even if you intend for the pygame window to be "entirely separate" from the other toolkit's window. It's simply *not technically possible* until changes are made to SDL to offer this functionality, which isn't on the roadmap.

-bob