Re: [pygame] Communicating with an event queue

Apparently there's a remote control interface. full play, pause, stop, seek, resize capabilities. If I can get the stuff from Marcus on redirecting screen output through pygame, then I can make an effective module.

-Tyler

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 5:22 PM, René Dudfield <renesd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 10:14 AM, René Dudfield<renesd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 8:37 AM, Tyler Laing<trinioler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Unfortunately, no, communicate does not prevent hanging:
>> http://docs.python.org/library/subprocess.html#subprocess.Popen.communicate
>> It says it waits for the subprocess to terminate :/
>>
>> However, that mplayer slave mode looks awesome. How big would a statically
>> compiled mplayer executable be? The windows download, with smplayer gui is
>> 12.5 MB. Or should I create an mplayer backend that checks if mplayer has
>> been installed?
>>
>> -Tyler
>>

> yeah, it would be an if installed deal.
>
> VLC is probably more widely installed than mplayer... but not sure if
> it can do a slave mode too... but I think it should be possible.
> http://wiki.videolan.org/VLC_command-line_help
>
> VLC is also much more commonly installed xplatform, eg on windows/mac/linux

This document describes it's control interfaces:
http://www.videolan.org/doc/play-howto/en/ch04.html

You can control it by http, which could be nice.

Another method might be to read output from ffmpeg/vlc, and do the
display/play audio in pygame.  So you'd just read frames from stdin,
and then play them back.  This way might be simpler than assuming the
window of VLC.

cu,

--
Visit my blog at http://oddco.ca/zeroth/zblog