Re: [pygame] Announce: pygame 1.8.0rc4 tar ball.

The msi installer actually uses the version number to decide if a file should be replaced. Of course Microsoft uses a specific numbering scheme. So the msi installer builder in Python 2.5 distutils must translate the version number in setup.py. It can handle a's and b's but has no clue what to do with rc's so raises an exception. I have been changing setup.py by hand, so the msi versions I release differ from the formal releases. Also, if I forget I have changed setup.py and commit some change to SVN the version number I use will be accidentally committed as well. But then if we are close to the last release candidate then it is not a big issue. I have made the new changes available under sv4, but will change to whatever is decided.

Lenard

René Dudfield wrote:
Why can't it use the other naming scheme again?