Re: [pygame] vista testing...

Hi!
    I am not sure if this is related because I do not get any scratching on
my sounds when I only use pygame.init with no mixer init but the attached
file, the only one of the bunch I have will not play at all. In fact it says
error, no src. Also it says it is a null file.
    It is an 8 bit, 88K but I have many like this one but they play with no
problems or scratching. I use both 8 bit and 16 bit and one is played
continuously, but this one dies once assigned with the null, no src error.

    So, what is the difference in this file from all others when trying to
play it with the mixer? You have to convert it back to a .wav file for the
list rejected with the extension on it, so I sent it without it.

    I am using pygame 1.8 rc 3 and SDL (1,2,12)

        Bruce

When you say "that didn't work at all", what exactly do you mean? What
SDL prebuilts were you running with what pygame when you had a
problem?

In terms of not working - do you mean you get a python exception? seg
fault? stuff seemed to work but no sound played?

Also, while I haven't tried an older SDL with pygame 1.8. I've
successfully used the newer SDL dll's with pygame 1.7.

So if the problems you had were trying to run the SDL from 1.7 with
pygame 1.8, then maybe you can try pygame 1.7.1 with the newer SDL
dll's here:
http://www3.telus.net/len_l/prebuilt-msvcr71.zip
the result of that one test case will provide useful info on if this
is an SDL bug or not.

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 4:05 PM, Bo Jangeborg <bo@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Did try that yesterday but that didn't work at all.
>  I don't think the different versions of the mixer are
>  compatible.
>
>  Brian Fisher skrev:
>

> > One other thing to try would be to swap out different SDL library
>  > versions. Pygame 1.8 includes newer SDL library versions than 1.7
>  > does, I think SDL mixer was updated as part of that.
>  >
>  > You should be able switch being using the dll's for 1.7 here:
>  > http://pygame.org/ftp/win32-dependencies.zip
>  >
>  > and the dll's for 1.8 here:
>  > http://www3.telus.net/len_l/prebuilt-msvcr71.zip
>  >
>  > just by copying the dll's over the ones in your site-packages/pygame
dir.
>  >
>  > so if you get scratchiness in both pygame 1.7 & 1.8 with the newer SDL
>  > but not with the older SDL, it would seem to be a new SDL bug. if you
>  > get scratchiness in pygame 1.8 with either SDL, but not in pygame 1.7
>  > with either SDL, then it would seem to be something pygame introduced.
>  >
>  >
>  > On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 2:20 PM, Bo Jangeborg <bo@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  >
>  >> Just tried it, no differens I am afraid. One thing I noticed , and
that
>  >>  was true for
>  >>  the mingw version too, was that at 44k the music was running
>  >>  considerally slower.
>  >>  Not sure if that's any clue.
>  >>  Is the interrrupt not frequent enough for it to pump out the music ?
Or
>  >>  what do
>  >>  think is happening here. Do you have any compiler options to play
around
>  >>  with ?
>  >>
>  >>  René Dudfield skrev:
>  >>
>  >>
>  >>
>  >>> Are you able to try the pygame from here ?
>  >>>
>  >>  > http://thorbrian.com/pygame/builds.php
>  >>  >
>  >>  > I think this is compiled with visual C rather than mingw, so maybe
>  >>  > it'll be different...
>  >>  >
>  >>  > cheers,
>  >>  >
>  >>  > On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 11:21 PM, Bo Jangeborg <bo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
>  >>  >
>  >>  >> The scratching are with all music files I have tested. The music
have a
>  >>  >>  native sample rate
>  >>  >>  of 44k so there should be no need to resample, and it does work
when the
>  >>  >>  output is changed
>  >>  >>  to 22k. I have tested with 15 different pieces. Furthermore it
worked ok
>  >>  >>  in pygame 1.7.
>  >>  >>
>  >>  >>  If I start a bit into the music I get occasional scratching for
the rest
>  >>  >>  of the piece after that.
>  >>  >>
>  >>  >>  Brian Fisher skrev:
>  >>  >>
>  >>  >>
>  >>  >>
>  >>  >>> The change with sample rate makes me think it may actually have
to do
>  >>  >>>
>  >>  >>  > with the particular sound samples as well? I understand that
SDL is