Re: [pygame] Google Summer of Code participation

Marcus von Appen kirjoitti:
On, Thu Mar 12, 2009, Iuri wrote:
In the wiki we have 2DVectorClass and 3DVectorClass classes. Why these
They are good, but in Python, making them slower than a good and robust
C implementation.

I wonder if porting them from Python to Cython (the new pyrex) to get the good and robust C implementation would be a good solution.

There was a huge discussion about that on the scipy list about a year ago, when they were discussing GSoC"08 work and whether to use Cython there .. http://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/scipy-dev/2008-April/008922.html . Actually don't know where that ended, how much Cython code they nowadays have there?

Granted those vector classes may be simple enough to be easily doable in raw c too .. but certainly the ease of making classes and methods in normal py style in cython seems tempting to me, porting from py to cy is not much work. Haven't written it myself yet, but Pyrex has seemed to work well for Soya3d since many years already, and am considering using Cython now for wrapping stuff in another project for work.

Don't have a strong opinion on that, nor know really what things in pygame it might suite best, but just mentioning as a possibility. http://www.cython.org/

Marcus

~Toni