Re: [seul-edu] Comprehensive Student Management System

On Thu, Aug 31, 2000 at 02:49:44PM -0400, Doug Loss wrote:
> This gets to something I've been thinking about recently.  We're working on
> gaining acceptance for Linux in education.  If we put web-based front-ends on
> everything we do, I think we may be relegating Linux to servers and back-end
> systems, as we're removing the reason for having Linux on the desktop.  I think
> it's probably a good idea to have such front ends, but I think it's also
> important to have native Linux front-ends that are easier to use and perhaps
> more fully featured.  I want to see Linux on the desktop, not just in the wiring
> closet or the server farm.

Doug, I will have to agree with you here.  A web front-end would be nice to
have, but for those that are using Linux on the desktop, it would be nice
to have a full graphical client.  I can see having both.  The desktop client
for teachers should not be a full encompassing program like the administrative
software.  Teachers should be able to use either the GUI client, or a web based
client.

> > Chris: Thank you for taking on the responsibility of setting this up in
> > sourceforge.  I think a good place to start, once this is established, would
> > be to post an outline of the SASIxp system - that way we would have a
> > starting point for desing/code discussion.
>
> I agree.  Having an outline of the required features of the program going in
> will be very helpful.

I will try to get some information up about SASIxp on my own website and post
the link here when it's up.

Chris Edwards
Computer/Network Technician
Washington County Virginia Public Schools
http://www.wcs.k12.va.us