Re: developing a K12 Linux distribution

While we are discussing this -- don't forget how expensive it is for
schools to buy compilers -- with linux they are all free, fortran, pascal,
basic, java, c, cc+, python, objc, and more.  There is even a nice ide out
there that is similar to codewarrior.

BTW, I have just started using StarOffice here in Germany.  I actually like
the Linux better than the Windows version.  It's much faster in Linux than
at home and I even have a much better computer at home.  It also build a
reasonably easy to use desktop and file management system so that one can
still use their favorite xwindowing display.  At the moment I don't like
kde because it is just too resource intensive and I don't want to use
something like that on my feeble machines.  I have found that at least the
kids doing programming often start to prefer the Linux machines because
they are faster and the tools I have are better (I can't afford to buy the
nice stuff for windows).  Also, Gimp is the only affordable graphics tool.
So in some cases the students just have to use the Linux computers.

It may not be easy to install yet, but it is definately perfect for a well
set up lab -- especially with staroffice.  Now I just need to find more
math apps to keep the math dept happy.  Now they also want to use Bewegte
Mathematik (Math in Action -- a set of free VB programs written by some
programmer at a University here in Germany.  They look pretty simple maybe
I should convert them to Java applets.

I think an add on it definately the best.  I hope it happens.