SEUL: Distrib: Some thought

Hi everyone,

There as been some discussion about weather or not (sorry for the spelling it
is just too hot here:-) we should build a SEUL distribution.

May be we should, but if we do I think we oughta bring something new.

Right now all the distribution are incrementally improved SLS distribution.
(For those who don't know, SLS was the first distribution of Linux. When was
that again?) They add some nice tools, but they don't bring any new idea.

In order to make Linux fool proof, we have to come up with something new,
something daring.

Here is a litlle idea

If we come up with a distribution, I think it should be Database centric.

Linux (and Unix) are using a great many database (mostly plaintext files) to
run the varous subsystem. My proposal is: Let's consolidate all that!

Here is how I see it working

	Early in the boot process (even when installing) we start up a DB engine. All
subsequent action can request some info from the database.

	This could have many advantages.

Package manager:
	-Each package can querythe database if needed softs are already
	 installed
	-When installing each package can store in the database
		- Its uninstall procedure
		- Its required files (Files this package must install)
		- Its needed files (Files the package need s to run)
		- Its modified files (Files that must be adaptes for
		   the soft to run)
		- Its version,
		-....

System:
	If we use a DB centric model, a workable configuration could be reproduced at
boot time. This would make the system fool proof.

Imagine. A usr wants to experience with new network setting. He ends up with
an unworkable system. No problem! A three finger salute later, he tells the
system to reinstall the config file (or part thereof) from the database. The
system is back! Only working configuration are commited to DB. (Of course, if
the user is fool enough so as to commit an unworkable config...)

Mobile computing:
	Several configuration option could exist in the database. When booting you
can select the one you want. This could be really good on laptop!

Just an idea,
What do you think

	Francois
 FW Consulting   |     Voice: +66-(0)2-737-4782
		 |  Cellular: +66-(0)1-984-8704
    Networking,  |       Fax: +66-(0)2-737-4782
  Software       |     Email: fw@fwconsult.com
      Consulting |