gEDA-user: Re: PCB a bad name ?

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 21:00:40 +0100, Peter Clifton wrote:

> You mean "grips" at the end of tracks when you hover over them?

Exactly :-)
Next step would be an additional grip in the middle of the track.
Drag this grip to keep the ends of the track in place and move the
two legs like a rubber band. This leaves you with an additional
corner in the track. I used this feature with protel all the time.

> I'm not sure
> how it would work with other types of object in PCB though.

I wouldn't bother. I can easily move components, pins and pads without
grips. No need to stretch or skew them. If anything, some kind of optical
feedback would be nice, to show which object the mouse actually hovers
above.

> Most of our work so far has been in gschem, and we're developing a GUI
> frontend for gsch2pcb.

Although I appreciate GUIs, eye-candy and such, I personally don't feel
too uncomfortable with the command line version. After all, there is the
power of bash to be tapped (scripting, history, command completion, ...).

> Any ideas people have which might help make gEDA/PCB more usable without
> sacrificing its excellent expert features, I'm sure all the developers
> would be very interested to hear them on the list.

Coincidently I started a whish list while I did two little pcbs with the
freshly compiled gedagaf iso image. I will post the list in a thread on its
own. Needs to be translated from German keywords to properly worded pleas
to the developers...

---<(kaimartin)>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak