Re: gEDA-user: Foss-pcb Proposed plan from CERN

   dont ya love moderated lists?  lol
   on a more serious note, yes, a path from altium would be huge, but in
   all honesty, having tools that work and inter-operate would be much
   better.  After playing with KiCAD for a bit, they have a very nice
   integrated tool suite that all works...and it has import (and export?)
   for packages like Eagle, and it runs on different OSs, quite nicely.
   No offense, but from all the stuff I've read from the gEDA base,
   various blog postings, and freelance how-tos, a common topic that
   always seems to come up is that with these tools and a knowledge of
   scripting languages, one can do just about anything.  Well, pardon my
   bluntness, but, I've forgotten more scripting languages than I know,
   and I don't necessarily want to learn another one to make gEDA tools
   work for me. You are severely limiting your adoption base if you make
   this as a pre-requisite for user satisfaction.  As developers, you may
   be enamored with your coding cleverness and undocumented design
   decisions, but from a user perspective, you lost them from "download
   and then make....."  and then use these magic scripts whos only hint of
   functionality is in the name....
   From what the folks at CERN seem to be asking, I think gEDA is, in many
   respects a long way from providing it.  If one is going to make the
   upgrade effort worth it, one has to know their strengths and
   weaknesses.
   I could be wrong in my point of view, as I haven't pushed a board out
   to completeness,  however the challenges I've encountered along the way
   have been quite surprising.
   -J

   On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 7:42 PM, Kai-Martin Knaak
   <[1]kmk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

   Peter Clifton wrote:
   > Even conversion of old legacy Altium designs could be done given
   access

                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
     Is this a serious restriction?
     Would it be possible for a user of a current altium license to
     export
     to this "old legacy" format?

   > to known sample files and developer time (e.g. money). I was working
   on
   > a funded project to reverse engineer those file-format at while back,
   > and the only reason it has stalled so far is a lack of my time. The
   > formats aren't so bad to understand once you've had some luck
   figuring
   > out the binary compression scheme.

     A transition path from altium to geda would be huge!
     How far did you advance on this road?
     ---<)kaimartin(>---
     PS: Why did none of my todays posts hit the list, yet? (While others
     seem
     to have no problem to get through within minutes)

   --
   Kai-Martin Knaak
   Email: [2]kmk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

   increasingly unhappy with moderation of geda-user