Re: gEDA-user: uEDA .. was .. Re: Heavy Symbols and such

On Dec 6, 2007, at 11:43 PM, Steve Meier wrote:

> John,
>
> Well veralog or vhdl as an internal data structure format? Maybe but I
> am not going to worry about it or attempt it.

But that is what Al is proposing.

> But I am curios enough
> that I might look at icarus' data structures. Perhaps what Al is
> suggesting is that vhdl has all the elements needed for
> constructing an
> internal data structure? again maybe, but it seems that geda has a
> pretty good selection as well and if libgeda is missing something then
> extending libgeda at this point might be easier or in my opinion at
> least my non-stock library. As I start to dig into the capabilities of
> these languages it might become apperent that an extension is
> desirable.
> Whats that old saying something about if you want to understand a
> language learn a few?
>
> As I recall John you have consistently argued for a spice output
> for at
> least modeling purposes if not as a netlist format for chip and
> perhaps
> even board layout?

More than that: I've been using it with great success for modeling
and chip layout. But that's not the issue here. SPICE is very useful
as an *export* format, and sometimes as an *import* format. I use the
designs at http://research.kek.jp/people/ikeda/openIP/ quite a bit.
And I had dinner with Professor Ikeda Tuesday night. He likes what
I've done with gEDA a lot!

> So yes your help on spice syntax would be
> appreciated.

What problems do you see in spice-sdb? Have you looked at my
Mathematica netlister (for symbolic circuit analysis)?

> Also as part of this process I am striving to create a well
> documented scheme interface into the library review of that interface
> and suggestions on what is needed to achieve the desired spice, vhdl,
> verilog output files would also be apreciated. If you really feal like
> it then once the scheme interface is deffined you could take a shot a
> writting/modifying the spice output format macro.

The issue at hand is how the databases that drive this should work.
Various people have various visions. I have no strong preference as
long as the result retains gEDA's flexibility. But I don't know how
to evaluate Al's suggestion, as it's just "wave the magic Verilog
wand, and all will be well".

> Later on today I will send out the latest scheme interface document it
> still mostly (almost exclusively) is about getting data into the
> library
> structures but I am about to turn my attention towards basic netlist
> generation control (page level and  as specific command to flatten the
> page nets/buses into a single page as a specific command) and
> schematic,
> symbol, bom and netlist exporting functions. Actual netlist generation
> both page and flattening functions already exists in the library as
> does
> the scheme interface at least for the flat netlist but these scheme
> functions havn't made it into my document yet.

I know well that right now you just have to experiment with modifying
other netlisters.

> Then with an eye towards the future I am starting to think about
> how one
> could embbed files other then schematics into symbols. As well as
> spice
> models these could include hardware description languages such as
> verilog and vhdl and???

Why embed? References are good things. Directories are good
containers. File utilities are handy for reshuffling the pieces.
Files are good publishable objects. People who don't know what to do
with a .sch often can handle a SPICE netlist...

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx