Re: gEDA-user: Heavy Symbols and such

Hmmm well it would be nice if design rule checking had information about
the pins. Hooking an lvpecl output up to ttl input isn't going to work
very well. Even worse is switching the power and ground on an active
device. Is or should drc be part of gschem? Well to me gschem is just
one application that uses libgeda. Another application such as gnetlist
can run a drc set of rules against a design and it would be nice if
libgeda had access to more details about pin expectations (in, out,
in/out, logic family, max voltage, part of a differential pair?, if yes
to diff pair then is this the compliment of the pair or the standard?)
and on and on and on.

I am in agreement with the concept of a database conating all of this
and more and then the database application could generate symbols that
gschem could use and it could also be queeried for the additional info
that the drc or netlister could use.

In general I am in favior of of automated methods since they can get
smarter every year while I am very capable of making the same dumb
mistake over and over.

Steve Meier