Re: gEDA-user: Fwd: Parts DB API: the story so far

On Dec 26, 2007, at 12:38 PM, Steve Meier wrote:

> Stuart Brorson wrote:
>> On Wed, 26 Dec 2007, Steve Meier wrote:
>>

>>> Just to expand the vocabulary... two words..
>>>
>>> plugins
>>>
>>> translators
>>>
>>> I am convinced that the complexity of the data is better suited
>>> for db's
>>> then flat files.
>>>
>>> Stuart is "deadly" upposed to requiring a db engine inorder to
>>> run geda.
>>>

>> *chuckle*
>>
>> It is certainly true that if a DB is required to run gEDA,
>
> Thats an opinion or a belief not a proven fact. My own opinion is that
> geda will remian very limited without better ways of handeling complex
> data. How do questions like this get resolved? Well that is the beauty
> of open source and the market place where idea can compete.

I think most users will start with small projects, where elaborate
data management is more trouble than it's worth. Some will then move
to big projects, where it is extremely useful. So,

gEDA needs data management adequate for big projects, but

it needs to be optional so it doesn't get in the way of small projects.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx