Re: gEDA-user: FUNDING

On 12/12/2010 01:20 PM, Anthony Blake wrote:

If I do it, I think I should aim for a full years worth of funding,
which would be at least 50k. Three months is too short. What do you
guys think?

I have plans to use it for my low budget launches of open hardware products,
so I've looked at it closely, and see that you are on the high side of
successful projects at $50K.  If you could think up a deliverable
goal to reach with less, it would maybe fund.  then you could do another.
$10K works for kick-starters.  Another thing is, some of your funders
are already signed up and don't want the load of kickstarter, which
requires using amazon payments that absorbs about 4%, and then kickstarter takes
5% off the top too, so you lose 9%.

Instead of the high goal for a kickstarter, go for a low one and get it,
then deliver, and keep your funders signed up for more, and do kick-starters
only to get the new donors.

Yes, to get donors, you need to give them a trinket.  Makerbeam was successful
making award-trophy-like premiums mark the different funding levels.  So some board
that doesn't even have to be functional, but looks good as a wall plaque, and then
add different level's text to it, a la:  $1000 contributor, $2000 contributor, $4000 contributor.

but the most important ones for donors is going to be $10 contributor, $20 contributor, $30 contributor, $50 contributor...

John Griessen