Re: gEDA-user: FUNDING (was: Random thoughts on the future interface of PCB)

On 10 December 2010 00:09, Stephen Ecob
<silicon.on.inspiration@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 10:27 AM,  <asomers@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> How about a Kickstarter project for the toporouter?  Let Anthony make
>> a proposal and put it on www.kickstarter.com, and then gEDA users can
>> pledge donations.  If it raises enough money by graduation (or
>> whatever other deadline), then we all fund Anthony to work on it.  If
>> we don't raise enough, then nobody gets charged, the toporouter
>> languishes, and Anthony has to get a real job like (some of) the rest
>> of us.
>
> If we can raise enough for Anthony to get the toporouter working well
> (say to the point where it's working better than the existing
> autorouter for 2L and 4L boards), let's do it.
> Count me in for $4K.
> Anthony, how much funding would you need to get the toporouter working well ?

A kickstarter project sounds like a great idea. I'd certainly contribute.

As the funding only occurs if the goal is met, I'd personally recommend:
1) Giving plenty of time before the deadline
2) Considering bringing the target down from $4K, if that is possible.
Pledges can still continue once the target is met.

Justyn.