Re: gEDA-user: Random thoughts on the future interface of PCB

Bob Paddock wrote:
so I'm well familiar with its warts.

All of the commercial apps I've had to develop at work have been based on wx.
Then you are in a special situation and I won't argue with you about usability.
Can't argue with it being complicated.  Start with the above book, and
get the 'minimal' sample to build/run then go from there.
Can't argue that it could be improved in many places, but what can't
stand improvement?

What part did you find that was broken, and what version where you using?
As this was 2006, probably a very old version. If I remember correct, the minimal sample (using OpenGL?) either didn't compile or segfaulted or just didn't do anything
on Windows or Linux (I have no Mac).
Is it cross platform for Windows, Unix like, and MACs?
I've used some applications based on FLTK but never developed any.
Yes - I wouldn't recommend it otherwise.
#define FOREVER 1e20

Code full of 'magic numbers' with no comments don't give me the warm fuzzies.
It should also have parenthesise around the number, if this is truly C
and not something special to FLTK.
Parentheses around a constant are nonsense - there is nothing a plain number could evaluate to in the preprocessor than itself (unless you "#define 1e20 (foo * i++)"), so it has the highest
precedence by itself. (couldn't you even "#define (1e20) foo*i++"  ?;-)

I personally found, that the comment just below the definition is totally satisfactory.