Re: gEDA-user: overlapping via changes

kai-martin knaak <kmk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Stephan Boettcher wrote:
>
>> Rocket Scientist need to qualify everything that is even marginally
>> unusual, over full temperature range, and mechanical loads, in
>> vacuum. That will cost a thick branch of some big tree (10kg
>> paperwork).
>
> Not all rockets are NASA operated :-)
>
>> Rocket science is the last place where you'll find those holes, if
>> they can be avoided in any way :-)
>
> Coincidently, we do put some of our experiments in rockets. The
> subject is Bose-Einstein condensates under zero gravity conditions.
> The rockets barely enter space and come down after a few minutes
> of parabola flight. But still, they are rockets performing science.
> Space and to a lesser extend, weight is at premium within these
> pay loads. So everything that needs less space is welcome, even
> overlapping holes. That said, we haven't designed in any of these
> mutant holes, yet ;-)

Still, you do some flight qualification of your experiments, don't you?

Our latest "space"-flight of gEDA electronics was on a balloon from
Kiruna (BEXUS, 5h flight, 30 km altitude).  All commercial grade
electroncics parts and processes.  But DLR made our studends go through
the full program of reviews and qual tests. The mission failed for two
reasons:

Some EMC problems caused the noise to grow beyond some trigger threshold
at 8km on the way up, and made the telemetry link fail.

And second, the ballon landed hard on a rock, so that the 8GB
microSD-card which recorded the data jumped in and out of it's socket
such that it's controller died.  The company we asked to recover the
data from the flash could not do it, but recommended to use brand 2GB
cards for future missions, from which data is easier to recover with a
dead controller.

The instrument survived flight and hard landing perfectly, except for
the SD-card.  The sensor (silicon detectors) and the housing were
originally designed to land on Mars on the canceled ExoMars lander
mission.

--
Stephan