Re: gEDA-user: gEDA Wikibook ?

On 26 December 2010 02:55, Mark Rages <markrages@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 25, 2010 at 4:16 PM, John Coppens <john@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Fri, 24 Dec 2010 16:20:03 +0100
>> kai-martin knaak <kmk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> It about finding authors.
>>
>> I'm not entirely sure about that. I think there would be persons that
>> would be prepared to produce documents, if there were no necessity to
>> wade through the source code to detect what has to be written about.
>
> If it will stop the bikeshedding here, I volunteer to translate a
> tutorial from crayon-on-napkin into LaTeX or DocBook or whatever.  I
> believe that the author gets to choose the format, not the recipient.
>
> Regards,
> Mark
> markrages@gmail
> --
> Mark Rages, Engineer
> Midwest Telecine LLC
> markrages@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I know both, latex and tex.

Never use latex even for structured documents (mostly invoices and
commercial letters, in my case), but that's another story.

In my opinion, while the idea of the wikibook is fine, it's gonna need
of constant surveillance which in turn, means a pain in the ass for
whoever is at charge.

Ideally, all the needed documentation should come together with the
software, and ideally, every developer commiting relevant changes,
should also pay he's phrase or paragraph to the relevant part of the
documentation sources.

That way it's always in sync and doesn't become a major problem.

As of which format to use, I'd say texinfo. It's easy to learn, has
frontends for (at least) help writing documents with emacs (major
mode), can be read  from the terminal/emacs/vi, it's capable of giving
output to html, ps, pdf, etc...

I actually hate xml and sgml-alike formats, could never understand how
such a stupid and redundant syntax could succeed.

Regards,