Re: gEDA-user: Resistor valuesâ

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 13:18:24 -0500
DJ Delorie <dj@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I regret that I made that comment.

> I wish it weren't so common.  Such wars are a pointless waste of time
> and serve only to drive valuable contributors away.  Soon, the only
> people "working" on gEDA/PCB will be those who enjoy complaining, as
> there will be nobody left willing to wade through the bitter arguments
> and actually write code.

I agree with you. But I think that it is a fact that there are lots of wars.
We should really concentrate on "work".

> So let me make this perfectly clear - if you're not willing to write
> code, your complaints about how others write code will fall on deaf
> ears.  As far as I know, those of us who DO write code, do it for
> purely selfish reasons - we benefit from our own work.  We've said
> this before, it should be no surprize to anyone.

I think in an open source domain, users and "code writers" are pretty much the
same. I consider myself a user, but there is code in PCB of mine. I've written
a few scripts for gEDA/PCB as well. It is not much, I know. I am willing to
write code, but I'm not good at code writing (Never tried it seriously
though).

> OTOH if you have suggestions on how to make gEDA/PCB better - easier
> to use, more functional, etc - feel free to voice them.  If you can
> back them up with a solid design and usability models, that's even
> better. Discussions about the details and caveats are to be expected!

Yes! I meant "war" that I feel everyone dumps their experience, favourite
tool, etc. without working the problem.

> But as soon as the discussion degrades into yet another bikeshedding,
> the instigators of said bikeshedding have lost all credibility with
> me.
>
> New users - ask your questions without regret.  There are no bad
> questions.  Harvest the answers that are useful and ignore the crap.

Yes.

The "let us start a Vi vs. Emacs" comment was a joke.

--
Levente Kovacs
http://levente.logonex.eu