Re: gEDA-user: Building subcircuits in gschem and pcb possible?

On 2/7/06, Larry Doolittle <ldoolitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Klaus -
>
> On Tue, Feb 07, 2006 at 05:37:46PM +0100, Klaus Rudolph wrote:
> > I have a circuit which contains a lot of identical subcircuits.
>
> I do this "all the time", but I use xcircuit instead of gschem.
> In PCB, I can cut-and-paste the laid-out channel just fine, but
> the refdes get messed up.  Those are fairly easy to fix up with
> an awk script.  On the schematic side, what you want is a hierarchical
> design.  Define your amp as a block, and then instantiate it 8 times
> on a higher level page.  xcircuit can do this, and I trust gschem
> can too.  I end up post-processing the xcircuit netlist to get
> reasonable component names, since they otherwise come out with
> the hierarchy prefixed.

The "hierarchical prefix" notion makes more sense once you see it, but
for those who haven't, it's something like this.

Let's say you want two H-bridges, H1 and H2, with transistors Q1-Q4.
The "upper-left" transistor in each H-bridge, for instance, might be
"H1/Q1" in H1, and "H2/Q1" in H2.

--
- Charles Lepple