Re: gEDA-user: make install doesn't work on OpenBSD

On Thu, 2008-02-07 at 17:40 +0200, Bernd Jendrissek wrote:
> On Feb 7, 2008 5:10 PM, Peter Clifton <pcjc2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Thats not the big issue.. the one which stumps me, is that we need to
> > decide at autogen.sh time whether to run intltoolize. (IE. whether to
> > ship a tarball with intltool or more native gettext scripts in /po/).
>
> I think distributed tarballs should ship with whatever "weird" tools
> are necessary to build it.  Mere mortals shouldn't have to have
> autoconf and friends installed, nor intltool, nor gettext.  Isn't this
> how it already is???  I see that intltool-*.in are already in the
> tarball[s].

Apparently there are some issues. For example, the intltool scripts
shipped require an XML parser module for perl.

>From what I could gather, they also run-time depend on some runtime
tools from gettext. OTOH, I wouldn't necessarily consider this to be
such a bad dependency. All users building from source have gcc and other
tools, why not gettext.

I do agree that intltool is a bit of a pain in the backside.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,