Re: gEDA-user: make install doesn't work on OpenBSD

On Thu, 2008-02-07 at 11:05 -0500, Ales Hvezda wrote:
> [snip]
> > Apparently there are some issues. For example, the intltool scripts
> > shipped require an XML parser module for perl.
>
> Yuck.  That means you need perl to build as well?

Yes, although perl is already required by a load of stuff in utils.

> > >From what I could gather, they also run-time depend on some runtime
> > tools from gettext. OTOH, I wouldn't necessarily consider this to be
> > such a bad dependency. All users building from source have gcc and other
> > tools, why not gettext.
>
> Because there are users out there who are not using gcc and do not have
> the whole GNU suite installed.

Ok, gcc was a bad example (I meant "a C compiler"). I've not tried, but
surely you don't need the whole GNU suite to use gettext. This is
similar to the fact that we need GNU make.

(Ok, if it turns out - and it "may" do, that this is intltool's fault as
well, I might just give up now).

> What about this for a crazy idea:  What if we split out all the desktop and
> such into a separate package/tarball that can have whatever dependencies
> it wants?  That way people who want the desktop integration can install
> this package and those that do not need/want it can just build
> stock gEDA/gaf?

That was the way I did it to start with actually, but it is _very_
unusual that you would split out such things.

Since the distros separate tools like gschem and gattrib, you would then
need three packages (libgeda, gattrib, gschem), otherwise:

apt-get geda-gschem

pulling in "geda-desktop-stuff" would cause you to have gattrib (and
potentially other) icons for programs not installed.

Perhaps I just listed another argument for recombining the suite?

BTW.. It is entirely possible for debian packages (probably RPMs too),
to build the "n" binary packages (about 8,9 or so now), from a single
source tarball... just something worth considering?

> Also, did this GNU gettext dependency make it into PCB as well?

Dan committed the desktop integration changes, including intltool to
PCB, yes.

Don't get me wrong.. I'm not "anti" fixing this, I'm just struggling to
figure out how best to do it in a way which doesn't break all the
benefits which intltool brings on systems which do have it.

(BTW.. I am not that impressed with intltool either, for all the grief
its causing, and its lack of portability.)

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,