gEDA-user: manpages [WAS: Re: OT: Latex]

On Mon, 2010-02-08 at 01:44 +0000, Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:

> By the way, some of the geda tools lack a man page. Is this intentional,
> or just due to a lack of developer cycles?

Just lack of time I think. Debian keep nagging us / me about manpages,
and it would be nice to ship more. The problem is that they tend to get
out of date pretty quickly.

We needn't ship a huge manual for a GUI tool - but for those which are
command-line based, it is a real bonus.

> tools with a man page:
>  gschem,
>  gerbv,
>  gnucap,
>  gnetlist
>  grenum
>  gsymcheck
>
> tools withouta man page:
>  gattrib,
>  gsch2pcb,
>  xgsch2pcb
>  gschlas (*)

Loads / saves a schematic, with options to bulk embed / delete embedded
symbol contents.

>  gschemdoc
>  gschupdate (*)

Probably a relic from some ancient file-format incompatible change in
the distant past.

>  gsymupdate (*)

As above?

>  gxyrs (*)

Something to do with BOM / Pick/place file / PCB .... (????)
Ask Carlos, he wrote it.

>  mk_verilog_syms (*)
>  olib (*)

    olib.lex - Orcad to gEDA lib converter (Probably long out of date)

>  pads_backannotate (*)
>  refdes_renum
>  sarlacc_schem (*)
>  sarlacc_sym (*)
>  sch2eaglepos.sh (*)
>  smash_megafile (*)

Breaks up a propitiatory file from Viewlogic (Probably long out of date)

>  sw2asc (*)
>  tragesym

I've hinted at some I know of.. clues as to the others probably exist in
their sources.