Re: gEDA-user: Insufficient clearance of pad inside polygon

On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 01:27:56AM -0500, DJ Delorie wrote:

> > Ok, one of the drc tests, apparently, is to test if a land pattern
> > conforms to the design rules (e.g. silk screen thickness) why doesn't
> > the drc run every time a land pattern is dropped into a layout? Is it
> > not better to be proactive then reactive?
>
> I hope by the time you've got an element in your library it's passed
> some sort of QA.  However, my previous comment fits here too - the DRC

The elements in the library are usual for precision class 5, 6, or 7
and my precision class is 4 (0.35mm line/0.30mm gap).

The fact that the element passed a QA doesn't mean that it will be
correct in the board because the QA could have been done for a different
precision class than what the board is being designed for.

> parameters may change over time.  I can see a need to switch to more
> restrictive DRCs for cost savings, or globally "ease off" if a looser
> DRC is selected.  The first needs the fix-on-the-fly solution, the
> second needs the global change option.  You might not even know the
> DRC parameters until late in the design.

If you learn DRC parameter late, you usually end up with necessity to
rip up 1/2 of the tracks and place them again (until you are performing
a board space wasting contest).

> For silkscreen on dense boards, line thickness might not even be a
> design consideration.  You'd just set it to as thin as the fab house
> allows just before you send it out.
>
> Note that PCB does have restrictions on where you can put vias; it
> won't let them overlap for example.  There are *some* drc-on-the-fly
> features built in, it's just not 100% coverage.

These DRC restrictions must be turned off anyway because they are broken
and often don't even allow you to connect two points connected with
a ratnest.

CL<