Success! was Re: gEDA-user: gsch2pcb : coming up empty

On Jan 3, 2007, at 2:12 PM, Hans Nieuwenhuis wrote:

On Wed, 3 Jan 2007 10:32:19 -0700
Andy Peters <devel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Jan 3, 2007, at 8:03 AM, Hans Nieuwenhuis wrote:

Sorry for me jumping in, but I remembered a situation a while ago
having the same problem also. The cause of the problem is the
dashes in
the filename of the footprint. If the OP had not used multiple dashes
there would not have been a problem. After I figured out I forgot
about
it and I should have filed a bug instead.

That's not it; John Luciani's library is full of parts with all manner of dashes and underscores.

My problem went away after finding and removing some old geda libraries (I know it is a FAQ :-) and re-installing the latest versions from source, maybe that helps for you too.

Whilst browsing the archives of this list, I came across a message that asked how to force gsch2pcb to ignore the old m4 libraries entirely (answer: simply delete or rename the directory). From its output, it appeared that the gsch2pcb program seemed to think that the "bad" symbols were somehow supposed to be in the m4 library.

So I shitcanned the m4 library entirely ($ mv /sw/share/pcb/m4 /sw/ share/pcb/_m4) and gsch2pcb works ...

Progress!

-a

PS: I found in the archives a rather heated discussion about the relevance of the m4 libraries in particular and the m4 macro processor itself in general. Somebody wondered what Unix programs, other than pcb, used m4, and there was no answer. Turns out there IS an answer, and it's a biggie: sendmail configuration files are all written to use m4. One wonders if sendmail's inscrutable configuration was the reason exim, qmail and postfix were developed! The sendmail book is by far the thickest of all of the O'Reilly books, even if you consider that it's printed on the thinnest- possible paper in the smallest possible typeface. I like the bat, though.